More information about this job:
FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
The Systems Engineer collaborates with infrastructure engineers, software engineers, chapter leads, service and product owners, and other Multi-Disciplinary staff based on shared goals and agile practices.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for providing design, integration, and management of complex systems, including building, and running Infrastructure & Cloud Services, focused on producing high quality solutions and improving existing technology systems through orchestration and automation. The Systems Engineer will be focused on enhancing existing processes and developing and implementing solutions through a variety of technology disciplines such as server, network, cloud, storage, and other infrastructure technologies.
This is a hands-on position that will work side by side with other team members throughout the Infrastructure and Cloud Product and Service Organization. As a member of a cross functional team, the Systems Engineer will be flexible, participate in mutual understanding, and continuously evaluate processes.
The ideal candidate will be committed to these principles:
- Having an unwavering focus on our customers.
- Explicitly focused on improving daily work.
- A commitment to systems thinking. Integrating repeatable patterns that teams can utilize.
- Practicing a DevOps mindset and embracing DevOps culture.
- Commitment to an Agile Methodology and DevOps mindset, as both ideologies work with increased collaboration and rapid implementation along with continuous testing.
- Focused on increasing transparency, communication, and collaboration across development, Infrastructure Operations, and Infrastructure Product Organizations.
Responsibilities of the systems engineer are based on the agile team assignment and could include any of the following:
- Participate as SME in recommending technology solutions to product team
- Estimating work effort for product sprints
- Complete technical work effort
- Communicate blockers and requests for help for agile teams
- Update systems of record
- Transition products and features to the service organization
- Improve the reliability of high-scale systems, by using automation to improve the process, the environment, and the technology stack. Leverage automation where possible to ease/eliminate manual tasks
- Participate as SME in the maintenance and upgrade tasks for services supported.
- Participate as SME in resolution of incidents and fulfillment of requests escalated to service teams.
- Assist with root cause analysis for problems related to services
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation
3 to 10+ years' experience in application support, infrastructure support, database, server administration, information technology, platform services, or another related discipline. A focus on scripting and automation with at least 1+ years' experience.
- Knowledge of Infrastructure architecture and administration.
- Expertise in creating, analyzing, and restoring large-scale distributed systems
- Experience working with Windows and Linux operating systems. Examples include Microsoft Windows Server 2022, Microsoft Windows Server 2019, Ubuntu, Debian, and RHEL.
- Knowledge of Scripting Languages such as Bash, Perl, PowerShell, Ruby, and Python.
- Must have knowledge of Web Servers, preferably IIS. Examples include: IIS, Nginx Apache, and Tomcat.
- Knowledge of enterprise backup and recovery procedures, system performance-monitoring tools, active directories, virtualization, HTTP traffic, content delivery, and caching
- Knowledge of Git or other version control technologies.
- Experience with Cloud Based Technologies preferably Azure.
- Understanding of Microsoft Active Directory, and experience with IP based networks, including of data networking components and concepts.
- Ability to stay up to date on current technologies and learn both collaboratively and independently.
- Effective at both verbal and written communication based on the intended audience.
- Solid Interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to take ownership.
- Must have a strong work ethic, time management skills, initiative, continuous improvement mindset, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently or on a team.
- Ability to coordinate activities with team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and change priorities with effective results.
- Strong root cause analysis skills.
- Experience with the Agile framework and ITIL preferred.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience or technical training with a non-related degree
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), pension, flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.