**This position is eligible for $30,000 Sign-On Bonus**
**Sign on bonus is not permitted for internal candidates
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, by combining our vast resources and investments we are able to dedicate ourselves to solving mission-level vs. product-level customer challenges - together we can anticipate more, move faster and make a bigger impact on the big picture.
The Whole Life Engineering (WLE) Directorate is responsible for ensuring our products are Safe, Reliable, Maintainable and delivered on time. WLE consists of multiple disciplines that support engineering, our program offices and our customers. Our WLE disciplines participate in the total life cycle of our products from conception to deactivation. Our focus area is product support, including the following disciplines: Reliability, System Safety and Supportability.
The Human Systems Integration (HSI) organization, within WLE, is responsible for providing HSI support to the development of Raytheon products, across the HSI domains of: Human Factors Engineering; Manpower; Personnel; Training; Survivability; Safety; and Habitability.
Whole Life Engineering is conducting search for a talented Sr. Human Systems Integration Engineer to join our team. This job will be in onsite work in a closed area program Tucson, AZ.
As a Sr. HSI Engineer, you will be involved in aspects of the system design, development, and sustainment. In this role, you will represent the organization as a key member of the program(s) which you support, to include identifying key HSI issues and addressing them with optimal solutions, considering cost, schedule, performance, and technical parameters.
As a Sr. HSI Engineer you'll also have experience in the domain of Human Factors Engineering, to include human factors engineering support to the design and evaluation of system graphical user interfaces, as well as physical ergonomics and space layouts. In addition, you'll have familiarity in the domains and Manpower and Personnel, with an understanding of how to assess manpower/personnel requirements associated with new system designs.
This position requires a high degree of self-motivation, communications and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with team members, Raytheon and external Program office customers; and the ability to prepare for and present HSI program status and results to internal and external stakeholders.
The focus for this position will include the following:
- An interdisciplinary approach to total lifecycle cost that balances system design, people, and software solutions to optimize total system performance
- Applying human-centered design to address manpower, personnel, training, and human factors engineering
- Adopting experimental and engineering psychology principles to improve the ability of humans to operate more effectively using technology
- Experience working with various Integrated Product Teams
- Proven integration of human performance and capabilities into research, design, development, and system implementation throughout the DoD acquisition lifecycle
- Systems requirements analysis and requirements determination across the DoD Acquisition lifecycle
- Operations research, manpower analysis, task, function, training analysis, and workload analysis
- Design for production, reliability, availability, maintainability, and total systems performance such as usability, operational suitability, and sustainability
- Human performance modeling, analysis, and forecasting; including workload, utilization, endurance, and fatigue. Prior experience with discrete simulation tools for human performance modeling is a plus (e.g., IMPRINT, MicroSaint, CSIM, Extendsim, LCOM).
- Collaborate with other Whole Life disciplines to include Safety, Reliability, and Logistics
We value diverse skills and experience, so don't hold back. Your qualifications could add tremendous value to our team. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. If you're passionate about what you could accomplish here, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Conduct, analyze, and organize user requirements to evaluate capabilities development, documentation, and analysis of alternatives
- Plan, analyze, assess, and support technical reviews to ensure human-related considerations are integrated into the development of derived requirements and review of planned solutions
- Promote effective HSI practices through education, training, and awareness
- Conduct, analyze and organize user research to discover and document user goals, decisions, and information needs, as well as tasks and workflows
- Utilize user journeys, task analysis, user flows, personas, concept maps and other techniques to both analysis and communicate user interaction
- Support projects by creating interactive design wireframes with best practices in interaction design and facilitate user testing and iterative design
- Plan, organize and set up usability tests to collect data from user engagements following human participant studies standards
- Collaborate with development teams and Specialty Engineering groups to implement design patterns and guidance that deliver best value to the user while considering ease of implementation
- Write Agile development user stories (JIRA, etc.) around design features for design implementation
- Maintain a current understanding of relevant government and international UI standards and practices (e.g., MIL-STD 1472, ISO 9241-110/210)
- Perform measurement of software user interface development to validate compliance with standards and customer requirements
- Perform HFE assessments of systems and hardware for general quality of design and compliance to design requirements
- Provide consulting on HSI, UX, UI, or HFE to project teams
This requisition is posted as ONSITE with work in a closed area program.
Qualifications You Must Have:
Typically Requires: Bachelor's degree and 5 years of relevant experience OR Associate's degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR an advanced degree and 3 years of relevant experience. A PhD can account for 5 years of relevant experience as required for this job. In absence of a Bachelor's degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required
- Human Systems Integration (HSI), Human Factors, User Experience (UX) / User Interface (UI) experience in either commercial or DoD programs.
- Active and in-scope US DoD Secret Clearance.
Qualifications We Value:
- Military or DoD experience and familiarity with weapons systems (to include support equipment, test equipment, and trainers) is a plus.
- Proficiency and experience governing Human Systems Integration into the Acquisition lifecycle from concept development through operations and support phase. Deep knowledge applying HSI tools, tradeoffs, and processes to inform tradeoff decisions under a variety of stressful conditions through a human-centered design approach
- Experience applying human factors into the system design interface (e.g., cognitive/social/physical behavior, anthropometrics, automation, human error, and decision-making).
- Proven user interface design fundamentals and prototyping
- Deep knowledge of an array of user research methodologies
- Proficiency with industry-standard design, prototyping, and user testing instrumentation and tools.
- Experience with tracking and other biosensors is a plus
- Experience defining user task analysis and mental models as they relate to user experience
- Experience with Human Computer Interface design/development or Hardware Analysis as it relates to MIL-STD-1472 and commercial standards
- Board Certified Ergonomist or HSI Professional
- Knowledge of solid modeling tools (e.g., Jack, Process Simulate Human, Catia, ProE, SolidWorks, Santos)
What We Offer: Whether you are just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement, and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits on offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
This job is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Recognized as one of America's 10 Best Small Cities, Tucson has a friendly, laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, the colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson showcases some of nature's best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, this fantastic weather allows residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
Additional Details: This job is posted internally as: Sr. Engineer, Systems Engineering
This requisition is ERIP Eligible. Employee Referral Award Eligibility: Only employees currently within RMD and RI&S have the potential to receive a Referral Award for submitting a referral to RMD and RI&S roles. ALL eligibility requirements must be met to receive the Referral Award
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.