Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people's health. We're always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You'll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor's degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Casa Grande, AZ location in the Abbott Nutrition Division. Our nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
What You'll Work On
The Senior Engineering Technician supports the installation, ongoing maintenance and continuous improvement of all plant equipment, systems and other fixed assets to a high standard of safety, quality and productivity at the lowest possible cost while maintaining compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
Operations Technical Support - Provide technical support in the areas of electrical hardware, control systems, software and industrial vision systems to support new product introductions, new process/equipment start-up, process optimizations, vendor qualifications and process alternative evaluations. Implement new and/or current manufacturing methods into manufacturing. Monitor production to determine areas of improvement and react to unforeseen production/manufacturing issues. Create and execute validation activities according to plant/division policy.
Project Management - Plans and conducts small-sized projects within the controls engineering function. Responsibilities include detailed project planning/monitoring, project reviews, implementation, validation and release to production. Supports larger-scaled projects under the direction of more senior engineering staff members.
Design Engineering - Complete electrical, controls and software related engineering activities incorporating best available technologies while adhering to Abbott policies, regulatory requirements, GMP standards, Abbott Engineering Standards and Environmental, Health/Safety regulations. Under the direction of senior engineering team members, create equipment/process specifications, drawings and software as required and ensure that existing documentation is accurate and appropriate. Research, recommend, implement and qualify replacement parts for inadequate/discontinued/obsolete components, equipment and software.
Cost Reduction/Productivity/Improvement - Identify and implement cost reduction and productivity improvement projects within Abbott Nutrition.
EHS - Demonstrate accountability and responsibility for Environmental Health and Safety performance and compliance through active participation and support of Abbott's EHS program.
Other Duties - Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the Quality System. Performs other work related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree or technical certification in electrical or engineering technology is preferred.
5+ years of experience in technical trade or equivalent technical experience.
- Demonstrated competence in PLC programming, electrical troubleshooting, industrial vision systems and process instrumentation.
- Work experience in the food/medical industry under FDA regulation preferred.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal required.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within the operation and maintains strong working relationships with internals in a collaborative, fast-paced, goal-driven environment. Listens to and understands others' points of view; possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Interfaces with production team members, department managers, plant engineering and Division Engineering/QA functions.
- May represent department/plant on segments of projects.
- Receives general supervision and exercises some discretion as to work details.
- Leads small project teams/supports larger programs to successful completion. Responsible for completing project tasks within time and budget constraints.
- Work is reviewed for overall accuracy, completeness and soundness of technical judgment.
- Coordinates efforts with technical and support staff.
- This position has a direct impact on productivity and performance throughout the plant. This includes product quality and the effective utilization of headcount/equipment.
- This job is performed in a regulated quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.