Ensure timely and accurate processing of the company's payroll, including remittance and reporting of employee deductions, withholding, unemployment taxes and other remittances to vendor partners. Establish effective working relationships with third party vendors and hold them accountable for meeting service level commitments. Maintain current knowledge of legislation changes that impact payroll and tax and ensure compliance. Responsibilities
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of payroll processes on a bi-weekly basis. Manage federal, state, and local tax reporting and remittances (via ADP) to the taxing jurisdictions. Serve as a primary point of contact for the Field administration team to manage timely and complete transfer of payroll transactions between the Field system and payroll system. Advise HR business partners on employee transfers, over payments, and other payroll related inquiries. Ensure that taxable earnings and taxes are updated to correctly reflect Deferred Comp and LTIA transactions.
- Co-lead year-end payroll processing, including transactions related to relocation, imputed income (conferences, corporate jet, etc.). Ensure accuracy of form W-2s by testing, reviewing error reports, and other year-end coordination with ADP. Monitor state unemployment tax process to ensure compliance.
- Provide direct leadership to direct reports. Incorporate effective performance management practices that include performance plans, feedback/coaching, and employee development. Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with HR service team that is responsible for payroll input. Aid with payroll processing questions and escalated issues, as needed.
- Work closely with payroll staff to ensure that general ledger entries are posted accurately and in a timely fashion. Review monthly reporting to ensure accuracy of payroll accounts. Partner with Finance and RCS departments to coordinate payroll audits as necessary, including SOX control audit responsibilities. Maintain current knowledge of Federal, State, and Local legislative changes, including FLSA and payroll tax. Review changes and implement as required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years of relevant experience
- 5-7 years of related payroll experience, including an understanding of payroll tax laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated attention to details; possesses a thorough depth of knowledge of payroll and accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands and demonstrates emotional competence to remain calm under pressure.
- Experience working with payroll vendor partners, such as ADP and Equifax.
- Strong People leadership skills
- Strong communication skills and professionalism to work with inquiries from Senior Leadership and their Accountants.
About Our Company
- Experience with Workday HRMS payroll system strongly preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professionals
At Ameriprise Financial, we're not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals - we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential by embracing an inclusive and collaborative culture. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you're motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Financial.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.