7144BR Position Title:
Database Administrator II (fully remote option available) Organization:
ITS Application Development Job Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops data architectures and database management policies and standards
- Identifies and resolves data issues and enforces database-use guidelines
- Installs, configures, maintains, backs up, restores, and performance-tunes databases
- Implements complex security measures to safeguard digital information
- Monitors and analyzes database audit tables and logs and provides complex data warehousing support and data extraction
- Identifies, develops, and facilitates unit staff training opportunities in the effective utilization of databases
- May serve as a subject matter expert on database systems and procedures for new projects and facilitates planning
- May perform other duties as needed
As a Database Administrator II, you are expected to be a subject matter expert in multiple technologies, products, programs, and process areas. The scope and impact of your work will frequently extend to a variety of other units, teams, areas of specialization, and departments. Work is accomplished with limited oversight and problems may require the development of new approaches, methods or techniques, requiring a high degree of innovation and creativity. You will serve as a trusted advisor to management and share your expertise with others. You may also provide guidance, coaching, and training to other employees.
Typical responsibilities are intended to represent the type of tasks required and should not be construed as a comprehensive list of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Supervisors retain discretion to assign or modify work tasks as needed based on specific job requirements. FLSA Category:
Exempt Requisition Number:
Finance & Administration Required Application Documents:
Curriculum Vitae or Resume Employment Category:
Fulltime Additional Details:
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at or email your request to . Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Required Minimum Education Level:
Bachelors or Equivalent Experience How To Apply:
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: . Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number. Wage Band () :
121A Required Qualifications:
- 3 years of experience in architecting, designing, developing and deploying successful database and data management solutions.
- 3 years of progressive and hands-on experience in the modeling and deployment of contemporary versions of Oracle's Database Management Systems, Microsoft's SQLServer, or Maria DB.
- 3 years of experience in data modeling, database design, and database performance tuning.
- 3 years of experience in the development, operation and integration of databases within diverse application architectures and technologies.
- 1 year of experience with participating in external vendor relationships.
- Bachelors degree in computer engineering, computer science, data science, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and consulting skills with the ability to collaborate directly with business partners, technical staff and end users.
- Ability to analyze complex business and technical challenges, and to evaluate the impact of potential solutions from both perspectives.
- A strong customer focus and an ability to work directly with end users to translate business requirements into effective solutions.
- The self-initiative to be given general guidance on an objective, and to achieve that objective with minimal managerial guidance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly learn new technical, functional and business concepts related to RIT applications and tools without formal training.
- Experience integrating systems across technological and functional boundaries.
- Hands-on experience with Oracle's Database Management Systems is highly preferred.
- Experience in data modeling and advanced SQL techniques.
- Experience with modern software frameworks such as Agile and DevOps.
- Experience with SDLC products such as JIRA, Confluence, and Gitlab, or similar agile project management tools.
- Experience with Windows powershell and Linux scripting.
- Experience with job scheduling packages, such as UC4.
- Experience with data visualization and BI tools such as Tableau and PowerBI.
- Experience in developing batch and streaming data pipelines for cloud data lake solutions.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure data management tools such as Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Databricks, and Data Vault methodology.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is committed to serving the university's information technology needs. We provide development, maintenance, and support for centralized administrative applications, technology infrastructure, and client computing, as well as support and advice for a wide variety of other information technology needs. What do we believe at RIT?:
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package () that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few). Work Location:
Remote 100% Commitment To Safety:
COVID 19: Please familiarize yourself with the requirements of the RIT Safety Plan () . Information on the responsibility for each employee can be found on the RIT Ready website () . As per the RIT Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Policy () , all university employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have an approved medical/disability or religious accommodation Job Summary:
RIT is looking for a Database Administrator II to join the Information Technology Services (ITS) team, where we are always on to something amazing!
As part of the ITS Data Engineering team, this position is primarily responsible for capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, as well as backup and data recovery.